There are more and more online casinos available right now. These are great because they allow us to gamble when we want and wherever we want to. However, sometimes it is nice to be able to go to a real, old-fashioned casino. The United States is famous for its casinos, and if you happen to be in Iowa, you may want to have a look inside one. There is nothing quite like a real casino, after all. The sounds of the slot machines, people pulling on the one-armed bandits, cards shuffling, waiters and waitresses walking around clinking glasses, and the smell of money and chips. Luckily, if you do find yourself in Iowa, there are plenty of places you could go to.
Here is a list of some of the best casinos you will be able to find in the state.
List of Iowa Casinos (Casino, City, County)
- Prairie Meadows, Altoona, Polk
- Diamond Jo Casino – Worth, Northwood, Worth
- Harrah’s Casino & Hotel, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie
- Ameristar, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie
- Horseshoe Council Bluffs, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie
- Terrible’s Lakeside Casino, Osceola, Clarke
- Isle of Capri, Bettendorf, Scott
- Grand Falls Casino, Larchwood, Lyon
- Rhythm City, Davenport, Scott
- Mystique, Dubuque, Dubuque
- Diamond Jo Casino, Dubuque, Dubuque
- Wild Rose Casino and Resort, Emmettsburg, Palo Alto
- Catfish Bend, Burlington, Des Moines
- Isle of Capri, Marquette, Clayton
- Blackbird Bend Casino, Onawa, Monona
- Wild Rose Casino and Resort, Clinton, Clinton
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort, Riverside, Washington
- Meskwaki Casino, Toledo, Tama
- WinnaVegas, Sloan, Woodbury
- Argosy, Sioux City, Woodbury
- Isle of Capri, Waterloo, Black Hawk
As you can see, there are quite a large number of casinos to choose from, with the biggest amount of choices being in Pottawattamie County. However, you do have to understand that Iowa isn’t like Las Vegas or Reno. There are no full strips with casinos upon the casino. Nor are there the insane buildings that we know from popular culture. Don’t go to Iowa if you want to go to a casino that includes a boxing match and a concert by Celine Dion, for instance. However, those are the casinos for tourists. What Iowa has to offer is casinos the way casinos are supposed to be. They are reasonably large buildings with all the games you could possibly choose. There are slot machines, Black Jack tables, poker tables, roulette tables, and crab games. Some casinos may even have closed off poker VIP rooms and even poker tournaments.
Most of the casinos are operated by Native Americans, who have known the world over for starting casinos all over the United States. This means that these are real, cultural, and ethnic casinos, rather than the glitz and glamour you may have expected because you have seen various movies about what goes on in Vegas. This doesn’t make these casinos any less nice, however.